“Edge” and others

by The Folly Turtles Crew on September 20th, 2011

Lucinda called her friend and sea turtle volunteer Sharon with the question:

“It’s alive! What should I do?”

Sharon contacted other Folly Crew members responsible for strandings and rushed to met Lucinda on the beach near the 6 East walkover. Sharon and Carl had thoughtfully brought a bucket and gathered seawater to gently hydrate the beached turtle. Bob arrived on the scene, quickly assessed the situation and contacted SC/DNR Endangered Species biologists to alert them to the need for a probable transport to the Sea Turtle Hospital.

That was our introduction to an eight pound, roughly 14-inch Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle now known as “Edge.” Though there were no apparent injuries, Edge had a fairly heavy barnacle load for a young Kemp’s and was very thin and lethargic — weak and kind of “sad” looking. The only energy shown was a bit of flipper movement toward the ocean when Sharon and Carl would drizzle water over Edge’s carapace (shell).

Charlotte Hope, DNR biologist, arrived, wrapped the turtle in a wet towel and proceeded to the SC Aquarium’s Sea Turtle Hospital where it was admitted and is currently being cared for.

More background, photos and updates are available on the Sea Turtle Hospital’s website and blog.

As a Kemp’s Ridley, Edge is special in many ways.

As a LIVE stranding on Folly, Kemp’s is extra special. Of the eleven turtles that have stranded on Folly this season, only two (both Kemp’s) were live strandings. The other was caught on hook and line at the Folly Pier early in the season, was cared for and has already been released by the Sea Turtle Hospital. The other nine were mostly loggerheads with heavy barnacle loads and injuries, including fishing line entanglement. Just a few days after Edge was found, a beautiful adult loggerhead was found dead at 6 West with severe injuries to the rear carapace.

So … you’ll understand why we’re so very grateful to Lucinda and Sharon and Carl for their first response and quick actions, to Bob for handling all the official communications, and to Charlotte and the folks at the Sea Turtle Hospital for continuing the effort to save this very special sea turtle.

Sept 25 update: Unfortunately, despite everyone’s best efforts and great care, Edge experienced seizures from which there was no recovery. The necropsy indicated brain lesions which caused the neurological difficulties that the Hospital staff had diagnosed. Again, our thanks to all those who took care of Edge.

1 Comment
  1. Steve permalink

    Great work, gang; thanks for posting!


Leave a Reply

Note: XHTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS